Monday, March 4, 2013

Spring Cleaning 101: The Backsplash


Our backsplash area after a good scrubbing.
 

This morning as I was making breakfast, the sun was coming up over the trees casting a beautiful, warm light into our kitchen and I couldn’t help but notice….how dirty our backsplash had gotten. EEEEEWWW!! I was so grossed out that I decided then and there that today was the day to start my spring cleaning, beginning with that greasy wall behind our stove. Now I don’t know if you have ever had the pleasure of trying to remove old, cooked on grease from anything, but it’s not a pleasant or easy task. I tried my regular counter spray to no avail. I tried hot soapy water, didn’t even touch it. So I decided to mix up my own concoction and give it a try, and guess what? It worked! I mixed it up and heated it slightly in the microwave to make it more powerful against the grime. Using the abrasive side of a dish sponge, I scrubbed the grease spots with my newfound cleaning formula and then wiped the area clean with a rag. Depending on how severe your grease problem is, you may have to repeat this process a few times (I had to go over ours twice. Yuck!). So you may be asking, what is the formula!?! Well, here it is. Did I mention that it’s free from harmful chemicals? J

 

All Purpose Cleaner
 
2 Cups of Distilled Water
1 Tbs. of White Vinegar
¼ tsp. of Free & Clear Dish Soap (double this if you have really stubborn grease)
10-15 Drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Whisk all ingredients together and put in a spray bottle or simply dip your scrubber right in the bowl. Discard any that is left over if you are using it straight out of the bowl to prevent spreading bacteria.

Before -Yuck! Those grimey little grease spots are SO hard to remove!
 
After - What a difference huh?


I hope that this cleaner works as well for you as it did for me. I know I will be replacing my regular stove cleaner with this from now on! Happy cleaning!

 

See you soon!

 

Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment