Monday, March 18, 2013

Thrift Shop Find: Vintage Crockery


Recently, I have discovered a fantastic local antiques and second hand shop in the downtown district of our little town. It is called Old Town Mercantile and I could literally spend the entire day looking at all of the wonders that this little store contains. Husband be warned, much money will be spent here ;). I was wandering my new found haven and came across this little treasure:

 

It is a vintage West Bend crock made in 1976 to commemorate America’s bicentennial. I couldn’t find much information other than that on it, but I love the Fork & Spoon logo on the front and think that it may have been a promotional item. It was in great condition with no chipping or cracks so I snatched it up and brought it home.

Now, it may not look like much but this little crock holds a ton of possibilities. It could hold any number of counter essentials such as flour or sugar, or it could be used at dinner time to keep side dishes warm (like a bean pot), or it could function as a super cute indoor plant pot. I had originally planned on using it to house my sourdough yeast start, but after getting it home, I decided that it was much too wonderful to hide in the refrigerator, so it became our new cookie jar!

This is only my second crock (The first one was given to me by my Grandmother and currently is what I use to hold my sourdough start. It has tons of sentimental value.) so I wouldn’t by any means consider myself a collector of these fabulous little containers, but I would definitely recommend a crock to anyone that is looking for a good, sturdy pot or canister. Owning one has definitely opened my eyes to the many possibilities of these wonderful things and I will be keeping my eyes open for more like it.

What do you think about my little find? Do you collect crocks? I would love to hear your stories about your crockery or thrift store finds, so drop me a line!

Hope you all have a spectacular weekend and I will see you again soon! Thanks for reading!

 

Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment