Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter Chicks


Well our little family has just gotten bigger! We now have 3 brand new baby chicks just in time for Easter! It has been a dream of mine for some time now to have a small hobby farm and to become more sustainable as a family. It’s important to The Hubs and me for our children to understand that food isn’t just something that you buy in a can at the grocery store and that eating fresh food not only tastes better, but also delivers more nutrients than processed or packaged food. We want them to grow up realizing where our food comes from and to have a better appreciation for what it takes to feed us. I also like the fact that we will be spending time caring for our chickens as a family, and that our son will be having his own chicken to care for, therefore teaching him a bit of responsibility at the same time. And I especially can’t wait to have farm fresh eggs and some new little friends following me around while I work in our gardens!

And now introducing (drum roll please)…..

Rosie! Rosie is a 5 day old Barred Plymouth Rock. This is my son’s chick and she is a very curious and friendly baby.
 
 

Willow! Willow is a 3 day old Black Star (a.k.a. Black Sex Link). She is a little shy and is just starting to get a few wing feathers.
 

 

And Henrietta! Henrietta is a 6 day old Buff Orpington. She is my favorite. She will sit in my hand and always pokes her head up when she hears my voice. She’s so sweet!

 

More chick pics….






 
FYI: The red tint in some of the pictures is due to the infrared light in our brooder, which keeps the chicks warm.
 
I’m so excited to watch these little babies grow and will be sharing more of our chicken story and pictures right here on the blog. I’d also like to hear any stories and see any pictures that you have about your chickens! Also, I have lots of information on chickens pinned on the Blueberries & Bees Pinterest page so be sure to check that out! Well it’s just about time to go check on those precious little babies so that’s all for now!

 

As always, thanks for reading and I’ll see you again soon!

 

Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment