Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Coughs and Colds and Runny Noses - Oh My! My Favorite Ways to Relieve Cold Symptoms Naturally


With all this cold, snowy weather we have been getting lately, I guess it’s only fitting that every person in our house has been sick with one thing or another. Any parent out there can testify that there is nothing worse than having a sick child. It’s utterly heartbreaking. And it tends to make even the biggest super-mom feel a little helpless. Add on top of that, that my littlest honey bee can’t yet take traditional cold medicines (she’s still too young) to help relieve any of her symptoms. *Sigh* What is a mom to do? Well I’m going to let you in on a couple of our family’s favorite and natural ways to combat colds.

 ***This information is not in any way a substitute for professional advice. Please contact a medical professional to discuss these remedies before trying any of them. If you are in need of medical assistance, please contact a medical professional. Please see our disclaimer for more information.***

Cold Combatant #1 – The Humidifier

When cold season strikes at our house, this puppy is rarely turned off. It helps moisturize the air and helps keep air passages from getting that dry, “fiery” feeling.

 
Cold Combatant #2 – Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

 

There’s nothing more soothing than a warm bowl of Chicken Noodle to comfort someone with a cold. Making your own Chicken Noodle is super easy and only has to take a few minutes to prepare. Seriously, this recipe is hard to mess up and using a store bought rotisserie chicken that’s already cooked majorly cuts your cooking time. You can add or take away anything you like, but this is how I make it:


Kellie’s Super Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

 6 cups of organic chicken stock

1 package of egg noodles (I like to make my own egg noodles for this, but if I’m in a hurry, I’ll use packaged. If you are using homemade noodles use about 3 cups.)

1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and set aside

3 or 4 organic carrots, sliced

2 organic celery stocks, sliced

1 organic yellow onion, diced

In a large soup pot, heat chicken stock on medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Add your noodles and cook for 5 min. Reduce heat to medium and add in carrots, celery, and onion. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add chicken and cook until the noodles are al dente. Serve in mugs or bowls with bread for dipping.

 
Cold Combatant #3 – Honey

Did you know that honey is an effective cough suppressant? I love having a cup of ginger tea with a couple of teaspoons of honey in it to help clear out congestion (plus I like the spiciness of the ginger. Woooh!). And recently I found a wonderful product for my kids, Little Colds by Little Remedies Honey Pops. They’re a natural and tasty way to calm sore throats in children, my kids love them! Find out more about honey and colds here.

***You should never give honey to a child under the age of 1***

 
Cold Combatant #4 – Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Essential Oils

I love eucalyptus! The essential oil of eucalyptus helps clear up congestion and mucus, is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory! Pretty amazing stuff, I think! You can use it in a steam inhalation or dab a drop or two on your neck or chest. You can also make a rub with it by adding a few drops to a base oil such as almond or coconut oil, and rubbing it on your chest and neck. I personally like to add a few drops to a pot of steaming water and letting it vaporize throughout the house, or I’ll add a few drops to the tank of our humidifier (See Cold Combatant #1).

Tea tree oil has anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial qualities. I use it in the same way I use the eucalyptus, by adding it to a steaming pot of water and letting it vaporize. This will help purify and also deodorize your indoor air. It also aids in decongestion. I wouldn’t put tee tree oil directly on your skin due to possible allergic reactions. Like always consult a professional for more info.

***Both Eucalyptus and Tee Tree oils are TOXIC if ingested!!! Keep them out of the reach of children and consult a medical professional before using.***

 
Well I hope that these remedies help you and your family this cold season as much as they have helped us. Cold and flu season can be the hardest time of year for any parent, but as you can see there are safe and effective natural ways to help alleviate the discomfort that comes with being sick. Once again I urge you to contact your healthcare provider or a competent medical professional before trying any new remedy or treatment for any condition. Here’s to your good health!

 

See you again soon!

 

Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment